Today, I'm sharing one of my all-time favorite cupcake recipes. I LOVE cupcakes, so you know this is a good one if it's a favorite of mine. Oh yeah - and my husband LOVED them too.
I know I'm not the only person in the world who loves chocolate and peanut butter together, but my addiction may be a little overboard. I have devoured Reese's peanut butter cups since I was a kid, and I love mixing peanut butter with chocolate. I often buy chocolate flavored peanut butter just for fun, and it's awesome. This recipe combines all things amazing, and I promise, it won't let you down.
I mean, come on. Just look at the ooey-gooey peanut butter balls that melt inside the cupcakes. SO FREAKING GOOD. You have to try it.
And topping it with a peanut butter cup? Just adds to the whole chocolate peanut butter element, AND it looks cute!
and now for the best part... the recipe!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Cupcakes
PEANUT BUTTER BALL INGREDIENTS
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
• 4 tbsp butter, room temperature
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 2/3 cups flour
• 3/4 cup cocoa powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 cup sour cream
• 2 tbsp milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 8 tbsp butter, room temperature
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
• 4 tbsp butter, softened
• 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
• 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
• 1 cup cool whip, thawed
• Reese's peanut butter cups (for decoration)
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Line cupcake tins with 24 liners.
3. Make the peanut butter balls:
- combine all ingredients
- beat on medium speed until dry but sticking together
- roll into one inch balls
- chill in the freezer while you make the batter.
4. Make the batter:
- combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl
- in a liquid measuring cup, stir together sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract
- in large bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about two minutes)
- beat in eggs, one at a time
- with mixer on low speed, alternate adding dry ingredients and sour cream mixture, starting and ending with dry ingredients
- mix until just incorporated
5. Scoop 2 tbsp batter into each cupcake liner.
6. Top with chilled peanut butter balls.
7. Add remaining cake batter over the peanut butter balls.
8. Bake for 13-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
9. Let cupcakes cool before frosting.
10. Make frosting:
- beat together cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter until smooth
- slowly mix in powdered sugar until smooth and well blended
- fold in cool whip until well blended and fluffy
- chill frosting for 10 minutes
- frost cupcakes
11. Top frosted cupcakes with individual Reese's peanut butter cups
Do you like chocolate and peanut butter together?
What's your favorite flavor of cupcake?